Doctoral studies, full-time  

Doctoral studies, combined  

Admission process
No description

6 basic steps for successful admission to study

1. Choose your field of study

Choose the field of your study and/or specialization that best suits your interest.
You can find all our PhD programmes, their description and requirements below:


2. Contact your possible future supervisor

This is an essential step! You will find a list of supervisors and also, a list of proposed dissertation topics at the bottom of the page of each programme description. Contact the supervisor that you are interested in one of the topics or send directly your research proposal. 

3. Get all the necessary documents ready

To complete the application, you will have to submit these documents:

  • Curriculum vitae
  • Letter of interest (up to two pages explaining your interest and research plan in the study field of your choice)
  • Short description of your PhD project + its title 
  • Letter of Recommendation from a person familiar with your academic background
  • Supervisor's statement (can be found here)
  • Photocopies of diplomas and transcripts or records/diploma supplement from your previous university studies. For doctoral studies, a completed master’s degree* in the corresponding study field is required.

All documents should be in English!
* If you have not finished your master's degree yet, please upload a copy of your Bachelor degree and current master's degree transcript of records.

Optative attachments:

  • English certificate - any certificate or proof of your level of English
  • Photocopy of your passport - especially when a visa process is needed, to ensure all the data are updated and correctly filled. It is NOT mandatory!

4. Fill in the application

The application is filled in electronically.
Please choose: "International applicants for doctoral study (Czech and Slovak Republics applicants not included)" form!

Please, make sure all your personal details are correct and match your ID document (EU ID/passport).
It is not possible to submit the application without all the required information and documents. Please note that if you don't submit correct attachments (= for example, will upload only an empty pdf file), the application won't be considered.

Should you change your ID/passport during the application process, please let us know! The travel document number is essential for the visa process.

5. Pay the application fee

The admission fee is 650 CZK and is paid online upon submitting the electronic application form.
This fee can be paid by bank transfer or by card (recommened option) and without it, the application is not considered valid. 

6. Admission interview

When the application and the required attachments are complete, it is passed on to the respective department which then organizes the entrance examination. Your presentation during the entrance examination is evaluated by an admission committee that decides upon the number of received points. 
Information about admission procedure and criteria of acceptance for every programme are available here.

If not limited by the terms specific to the particular study programme, the entrance examination can take place throughout the year. 

Entrance exam, if possible, are done in person. Otherwise, it is held online, via Skype/Zoom/MS Teams.
You will be notified by e-mail that your application has been forwarded to the respective department.

What's next?

An applicant is informed about successful passing of the interview by the committee or by the Dean's Office (Office for Doctoral Studies, Quality, Academic Affairs and Internationalization is in charge of the admission process)
Dean's Office then completes the admission process and prepares acceptation documents and has them signed by the Dean. The final decision lies on the Dean of Faculty. 

  • When can I apply?

    Most of our programmes have one central application period, open throughout the year:

    • 1st January-15th December

    Life sciences

    •  1st September-31st October (for studies starting in Spring term)
    •  1st December-28th February (for studies starting in Autumn term)
  • Where can I submit my application?

    Remember to choose "International applicants for doctoral study (Czech and Slovak Republics applicants not included)" option and choose the correct language - see our FAQ's to find out the difference between Czech and English programme.


  • Who can I contact for further information or help?

    Shall you have any questions regarding the admission process, please do not hesitate to write us at:

Usefull links

MUNI SCI - PhD programmes MUNI - Doctoral Studies Verification of previous education Recommended study plans Faculty Guide to PhD Studies in general


Frequently asked questions - FAQ

What are the general requirements?

Applicants to doctoral study programmes are expected to have a good background in the field as well as a high level of English to be able to perform fully all duties required and connected to the doctoral study programme.
Applicants for doctoral studies need to prove they are holders of a university Master’s degree in a field corresponding to the doctoral study programme they choose to apply for.

Do you have programmes in English?

Yes, we do. All our PhD programmes are offered both in Czech and in English accreditation. Note that all programmes in English are subject to tuition!
There is an alternative option for the international applicants to be accepted in the free programme administered in Czech with the possibility of receiving a scholarship. The study language of the programme is still English (Czech is the administrative language).

What is the tuition fee?

The tuition fee for programmes accredited in English is 3,000 EUR/year.

Programmes accreditated in Czech are free of charge.
All international applicants can be accepted into programmes in Czech with the possibility of receiving a scholarship! The study language of the programme is still English (Czech is the administrative language).

Note, there is also an application fee - 650CZK and a fee for verification of foreign education - 800CZK.

Do I receive any scholarship?

All PhD students studying in full-time form of Czech accredited programmes are receiving a governmental doctoral scholarship of 15.000 CZK/month. This is granted for the first four years of study.
In addition, you can get some extra scholarships from the department or be employed as well. 

What is the difference between ful-time and combined form of studies?

The requirements, in general, are identical with this exception:

  • full-time form - you are expected to be present at the faculty, doctoral scholarship
  • combined form - no need of physical presence at the department, no scholarship

When do I have to start my studies?

All our PhD students can start their studies throughout the whole year, it is upon their agreement with the supervisor.
PhD studies are conducted according to students' individual study plans (more here)

I am from a non-EU country

We will help you with the documents needed for a visa application. Go through our visa process guide to know all the necessary details.

My master's degree is from foreign university, do I have to verify my education?

Yes! Please see all the necessary requirements for the verification of foreign education in the section "Before arrival".

What do I need to know about enrolment and life in Brno?

All information regarding enrolment, accommodation and life in Brno in general can be found in the sections "Before arrival" and "Student life".

Why has Life Sciences programme different dates?

Life Sciences programme is administrated by CEITEC, therefore they have their own admission process - including different dates.

Life Sciences programme Life Sciences admission

Visa application


The visa application is one of the essential parts of your future studies. But don't worry, we can help you with everything.
Once you know that you have been accepted to study, we will send you an informative e-mail with all the essential information about the next steps. We will also send you the visa documents as soon as possible and we'll start the visa process together - it's important to start early as it can take 2-4 months (a lot depends on the country you're from and how long it will take you to secure the necessary documents).


Long-term residence permit or long-term visa?

There are two type of permits you can apply for:

  • long-term residence permit for the purpose of "studies"
  • long-term visa for the purpose of "studies"

We would recommend to apply for a LT residence permit:
- it is intended primarily for foreigners from third countries who plan to stay in the Czech Republic for more than a six months 
- after approval, you will receive single-entry visa at the embassy which entitles you to travel to the CZE and pick up the residence permit card
- after arrival to the CZE, you will receive a residence permit card
with a residence card, certain administrative task and life in the CZE in general may be easier

Identical elements:

  • entitle you to stay for more than 90 days (3 months)
  • entitle to move around the Schengen area - stay in other Schengen states must not exceed 90 days in any 180 days and must be non-remunerative
  • both the long-term visa and the long-term residence permit can be extended in the Czech Republic - if the purpose of the stay is still valid


  • visa is multiple entry, can be renewed, issued for a maximum of 1 year
  • RP is first issued as one-entry visa, then receiving a residence permit card, can be renewed, issued for a maximum of 2 years (usually for 1 year, though)

Where to apply?

It is always necessary to file the application in person!!!

LT Residence permit:

The application is filed at the Czech Embassy in the state of which you are a citizen or which issued your current travel document or in the state in which you have a long-term or permanent residence permit at the properly completed form.

Foreign national is also entitled to file an application at the MOI office in the territory of Czech republic in this case:

  1. if the foreign national is a holder of long-term visa (for more than 90 days) for any purpose, except of long-term visa of leave to remain, purpose of seasonal work or extra work,

  2. if the foreign national is a holder of long-term residence permit for another purpose issued in the territory of Czech Republic,

  3. if the foreign national is a holder of long-term residence permit issued for the purpose of study by another EU member state (except Great Britain, Ireland, Denmark), if he/she submits the application within his legitimate residence.

LT Visa:
An application for a long-term visa for over 90 days can be submitted at a Czech Embassy abroad. You are obliged to submit the application only at the Czech Embassy in the state of which you are a citizen or which issued your current travel document or in the state in which you have a long-term or permanent residence permit. You do not have to meet these conditions if you are a citizen of a state presented in the list of countries whose nationals are entitled to submit an application for a long-term visa at any Czech Embassy whatsoever (Decree No. 429/2010 Coll.).

An application for a long-term visa can only be submitted inside the Czech Republic in legally set cases.

How to apply?

It is always necessary to file the application in person!!!
You can arrange a meeting at the embassy by yourself (
according to the instructions of the specific embassy, this can be done by email, telephone or in person) OR we can help by so-called student mode (see information about this process in next drop-down box).

The application is filed at the properly completed form together with all required documents. You will find the application forms also in box "Documents".

You should, however, always submit originals or notarized copies of the documents. Travel document, birth certificate, marriage certificate and document proving the purpose of the stay must be submitted in original. 
The requirements for the application shall not be older than 180 days except for the travel document and the photograph of the foreign national if it corresponds to his/her actual appearance. 

Student mode

Students who have already received their Master's degree can be nominated into so-called Student Mode.
The project "Student Mode" is the concept of visa facilitation for students-foreigners from selected third countries who are admitted to study at Universities in the Czech Republic and at the the same time they are enrolled in the Student Mode.

Faculty can nominate you into this special project if you from selected countries. Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports makes decision on the enrollment to the Student Mode, if they accept it, they resend your contact details to the respected Embassy. Each month, there is a specific date we can nominate you, after this it takes approx. two weeks before the Embassy receives all the contact details.

Embassy contacts you directly, usually via e-mail, and offers you a specific date for your visa appointment. You CANNOT choose a date! However, you could ask the Embassy whether it would be possible to get another appointment if you are awaiting documents or are abroad etc.

Application Requirements

We will provide you with an Acceptance Letter (purpose of stay), Confirmation of Accommodation (proof of accommodation) and Confirmation of Scholarship (if you will be receiving it, can serve as proof of funds). As these documents are needed in original, we will send them to you via Czech Post (to most of the countries, it takes 10-14 days), in exceptional case we can use a DHL shipment. 

Along with the filled application form for a LT residence permit/visa you must submit:

  1. a travel document,

  2. document confirming the purpose of your stay in the territory,

  3. proof of accommodation,

  4. photograph,

  5. proof of funds, or document, that all costs will be paid by state authority (state organization), legal organization or domestic host organization. You can also submit document proving that your total monthly income will not be lower than the sum of subsistence minimum (3 860 CZK) and the highest amount of normative housing costs (8 577 CZK) or housing costs you actually spend,

  6. upon request a document similar to an extract from the Penal Register record,

  7. upon request a document proving the fulfilment of conditions set out in the measure of Ministry of Health on prevention of the spread of infectious illnesses (Medical report).

More info can be found here.
NOTE! All of the documents submitted must be made out in the Czech language or Slovak language or officially translated into Czech. Moreover, foreign public documents must be supported by a higher verification (Apostille, superlegalisation).

The requirements for the application shall not be older than 180 days except for the travel document and the photograph of the foreign national if it corresponds to his/her actual appearance.

After approval of the application

In the case of a positive appraisal of your application, the MOI office/embassy at which you filed the application will contact you.

NOTE!  If your application is approved, prior to affixing the visa, you are obliged to submit a proof of medical travel insurance that corresponds to the specified conditions
(not required if the foreign national subscribes to public health insurance or if the costs for health care are covered on the basis of an international agreement or if the foreign national can demonstrate that health care is covered in another manner), and, upon request, a document on paying the insurance presented in the proof of medical travel insurance.
Exeptions can be found here.

Decision to issue a long-term residence permit
In the event of filing an application at an embassy, you will receive a visa for a stay of over 90 days for the purpose of receiving a residence permit, with which you can travel to the CR and report to the MOI office within 3 working days to fulfil the reporting duty and provide biometric data necessary for issuing a residence card.
This visa is one-entry! The address of the office which you are suppose to report at, will be given to you when receiving the residence permit at the Czech embassy abroad. If you does not appear in this period at the MOI office, the proceedings held on your application will be terminated and you will be obliged to leave the territory of  the Czech Republic.

In the stated time period, however no longer than 60 days from providing the biometric data, you have to report in person at a MOI office in order to collect your residence permit card - to confirm your identity (or more precisely the correctness of the personal information in the card, its functionality and the information and correctness of the data saved on the biometric card).

Things to keep in mind

Please, note that we need your personal details (name, surname, date of birth, number of travel passport) always correct and consistent with the details on the passport! Otherwise, the visa documents we can provide you with, won't be valid!

The Act on the Residence of Foreign Nationals sets a standard deadline of 60 days for processing an application from the time of filing it. Yet, in exceptional case might take longer.

During your stay in CZE do not forget to report changes related to your residence (= if you move to a new address).
If you are staying in private accommodation, you can prove it with an accommodation contract, which must comply with the following conditions!
It is important to report this change as the MOI might need to contact you.


Do I need a health insurance? When? Which one?

  • In the event of a positive processing of an application filed at an embassy, you are obliged to submit proof of travel medical insurance and, at the same time, upon request, submit a document on paying the insurance premium = you do NOT need it at the beginning of the visa process, but the Embassy will ask you to show it when you will pick the visa up. 
  • If the application is filed in the Czech Republic, submit these requirements directly when you submit an application.
  • Some of the health insurance companies: VZP, Slavia, Maxima, Axa, Uniqa...
  • Calculation of health insurance VZP Health Insurance Company (non-binding)
  • Exeptions can be found here.

Can I travel abroad with my visa/permit?

Yes, you can!

If you have a long-term visa, it is multiple entry and you can use to to enter any EU/Schengen country.
If you have a long-term residence permit, you need to pick up the residence card first! The visa you will receive at the Embassy is only single-entry! With the residence card you can travel without any problems.

Where is MOI? How do I get there?

The MOI Brno (in Czech = OAMP)
Address: Tuřanka 1554/115b, 627 00 Brno, map here
To reach the MOI office, the best is to go by bus to Slatina, Závod stop.

Take a bus number 77 from Úzká stop to Slatina, Závod stop – find the bus schedule HERE. The bus runs regularly (every 10-20minutes) and the journey takes approximately 20-25 minutes. Then your final destination will be only an 8-minutes walk.

Watch a video how it looks like at the MOI.  You will enter the building through an automatic door. On the left side is a small waiting room, where there is also a toilet, vending machine and coffee machine. On the second floor, which can be reached by lift or stairs, there is a large waiting room, information desk, MOI offices and a counselling room of the Celzus Brno. When you enter, take a ticket with a serial number in one of the machines and wait until your number appears on the TV.

Mo, We: 8.00 - 17.00
Tu, Th: 8.00 - 14.00
Fr: by invitation only
online reservation here

: 974 801 801 (information and appointment line; Mo - Th: 8.00 - 16.00 and  Fr: 8.00 - 12.00, works in English as well!)
Responsibility for the Brno-město, Brno-venkov, Vyškov, Blansko, Břeclav and Znojmo

Will the MOI let me know I need to re-apply for extention?

No, renewing your residence permit on time is entirely your responsibility.
Ministry of Interior offers to the caller the closest term for appointment possible. It is not checked whether offered term falls within the time limit prescribed by the law for respective legal act (i.e. for submission of the application).

Can I speak English at the MOI? Who can help me with Czech?

It might be a good idea to have a Czech speaking person with you, at least when you go to the MOI for the first time.
There is an option to contact organization Celzus - their staff are present at the MOI and can interpret in several languages or help you prepare and check documents for the meeting and fill in forms. It is free of charge, write them an email or call them.

You can also try to write to the ESN MUNI - you can ask for a "buddy" to go there with you.

What if my permit expires and I still haven't the application for its extention approved?

Ask at the MOI for a bridging label/sticker!

This "bridging label" is affixed to your travel document in the form of a visa for a stay of more than 90 days, with a validity period corresponding to the expected duration of the application procedure, usually on a waiting basis. For this reason, the personal presence of the applicant is required. For this purpose, the applicant shall present a valid travel document, no other formalities are required.
The "bridging sticker" allows its holder to travel from/to the Schengen area.

The sticker is then used as a certificate of the application and declares the legality of the stay in the Czech Republic until a final decision on the application has been made!

Before arrival


The visa process might be time consuming and requires a lot of waiting. In the meanwhile, you can focus on the next important steps:

Verification of your previous education
Finding an accommodation
Arranging everything needed for the arrival

No description


Verification of foreign higher education is an essential part of the admission process of the Faculty of Science of Masaryk University.
The applicant is required to prove completion of his Bachelor studies by submitting ONE of the following 3 options:

1. Confirmation of recognition of foreign higher education and qualification in the Czech Republic
  • issued by Czech public higher education institution which has a similar degree programme accredited in the Czech Republic or by the Czech Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport, Ministry of Defence or Ministry of Interior, in the form of a notary-certified copy
2. Certificate of foreign higher education, which is equivalent in the Czech Republic under international obligations without further official procedure - Slovakia, Hungary, Poland, Slovenia, Germany
  • so-called bilateral agreements on mutual recognition of educational qualifications with the Slovak Republic, Hungary, the Republic of Poland, the Republic of Slovenia and the Federal Republic of Germany
  • The applicant submits a Certificate of foreign higher education in the form of an officially certified copy with an official translation into Czech or English (translations are not required for certificates issued in Slovak or English)
3. Master's Diploma and Diploma supplement
  • The Faculty of Science is authorized to verify previous foreign higher education of the applicant for the purpose of the admission process and studies at the Faculty of Science of Masaryk University. This recognition is valid only for the respective admission cycle and only for the studies at the Faculty of Science.
  • The verification of foreign education is charged with a fee of 800 CZK, which the applicant needs to order and pay here.
  • The applicant submits:

    • Diploma in form of an officially certified copy or similar proof of completion of higher education with relevant signatures and stamps authentication (similar proof of completion of higher education is only acceptable if the diploma has not yet been issued to the applicant, and if this similar proof of completion also entitles the applicant to access to study in the given study program in a foreign state), and with a certified translation of the diploma into Czech or English (documents issued in English do not need to be translated)
    • Diploma supplement (Transcript of Records or another listing) in a form of an officially certified copy with a certified translation into Czech or English (documents issued in English do not need to be translated)
Required means of authenticating signatures and stamps - option 3)

Masaryk University requires, in accordance with section 90, subsection 3 of Act No. 111/1998 Coll., on Higher Education Institutions, authentication of signatures and stamps on the original of diplomas. Means of authenticating the signatures and stamps occurring on the original of the diploma depend on the country that has issued it, i.e. where the applicant earned his/her education. Please check the list of countries and verification requirements here.

The signatures and stamps authentication can be classified into three categories, depending on the (non)existence of an international agreement:

No authentication required: There is a valid bilateral agreement between the country and the Czech Republic, concerning mutual legal assistance. Diplomas issued in these countries are valid in the Czech Republic without the need for any further authentication of stamps and signatures.

Apostille: The respective country is a signatory to the multilateral treaty abolishing the requirement of legalization for foreign public documents (The Hague Convention). The authenticity of signatures and stamps on a diploma earned in one of the signatory countries must be certified by a so-called Apostille, issued by a competent authority of the country. For the list of competent authorities in all signatory countries please visit the Hague Conference website.

Superlegalization (Higher Authentication of Documents): Relates to other countries; the authenticity of signatures and stamps on diplomas issued in them has to be certified by means of a so-called superlegalization (Higher Authentication of Documents), i.e. verification of the diploma by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the state which is the seat of the higher education institution that has issued the document (or its authorized foreign body), followed by the verification of the respective Czech representative office (embassy) based in the foreign country.

Do you wish to apply to more than 1 Czech university?

Please note, that in case the applicant wants to have his/her previous foreign higher education recognized officially with validity for all universities in the Czech Republic, the applicant needs to apply for the recognition of foreign higher education at Czech public higher education institution which has an accredited study program with similar content. Please see the contacts, detailed information, and conditions recognition of foreign education at Masaryk University here.

How do I process the verification?

You will receive a detailed information what you need to submit and in what form in the first e-mail after beeing accepted. 
If you fall under the 3rd option = submitting your diploma and diploma supplement, do not forget to pay the fee!


The Accommodation and Catering Services of Masaryk University (SKM MU) is a purpose-built facility of the university that provides the operation of canteens and accommodation facilities at Masaryk University (
We will help you with the reservation in July-August period, or you can find your own private accommodation (a shared flat). 


Your visa applicaiton will be processed approximatelly 2-3 months. Once the Embassy receives the decision, they will inform you and you can finally pick up the visa.
We do not recommend arranging your flights/tickets before you have heard from the Embassy! 
Do you already know the date of arrival? Let us know and verify with us you have everything you might need.
We are looking forward to seeing you soon !

How to get to Brno How to Get to Your Dormitory


Enrolment is always in-person at our faculty. We will arrange a meeting with all students during the Orientation Week and go through everything related to your studies. If you are still waiting for the visa, do not worry. We will arrange an individual meeting. 

To be enrolled, you need to: 
1) have the verification of previous education done
2) pay the 1st instalment of the tuition (1 500 EUR)  = it is enough to pay it during the month of August!
3) sign the study contract during our meeting

Orientation week information

Student life
No description


Welcome to Brno, one of the top 4 student cities in the world! You are about to start a new exciting chapter of your life as a new Faculty of Science MU student. Did you know that Masaryk University (MU) belongs in the top 2 % of the best universities in the world thanks to its international ranking? 
Below are helpful tips and links to enjoy your time in Brno to the fullest. 

In the international student guide, you can find a lot of interesting information about Brno transportation, medical aid, MU in detail and living in Brno. 
If you do not find an answer to your questions there, let us know. 

International Student Guide

Erasmus Student Network = International Student Club

Erasmus Student Network MUNI Brno (ESN MUNI Brno) is a non-profit and non-political student organisation established in the summer of 2003 (as International Student Club MU Brno - ISC MU Brno) to help exchange students coming to study at MU in the new setting.
You can take part in their international events, find new friends and get your own buddy = another student that can help you get around.


No description
Brno - city for students

When choosing the best place to study, the university's prestige is not the only thing to consider. You should also consider your future classmates and the city where you will live. 2nd most significant city in the Czech Republic offers you more than you expect. After all, you can find over 80,000 students here.

Learn more about it:


You are running an old browser version. We recommend updating your browser to its latest version.